Requesting your Absentee Ballot
You can now request your ballot electronically or by phone at 518-270-2990
Please note that you will not receive a confirmation email upon submission, and that you should record your confirmation number for your records.
Please note: Online and phone absentee ballot requests legally must be received by the Rensselaer County Board of Elections on or before October 27th, 2020, but we strongly encourage you to submit your request as soon as possible, well before this deadline, and no later than October 17th. After this date, we recommend that you vote in person at an early voting site or on Election Day at your designated poll site.
Casting your absentee ballot:
- Once you receive the ballot, mark the ballot according to your choices for each office following the instructions on the ballot. Be sure to vote for the entire ticket.
- Once you have completed marking your ballot, fold it up and place it in the Security Envelope. (This envelope will have a place for your signature.)
- Sign and date the outside of the Security Envelope.
- Seal the Security Envelope.
- Place the Security Envelope in the Return Envelope. (This envelope will have the return address of your county Board of Elections on the outside and should have a logo that reads, “Official Election Mail”)
- Seal the Return Envelope.
Returning your absentee ballot:
- By mail: Absentee ballots returned to the Rensselaer County BOE by mail must be postmarked on or before November 3rd, 2020.
- In person: Deliver your absentee ballot in person during business hours to the Rensselaer County BOE (1600 7th Avenue, Troy, NY 12180) on or before November 3rd. You can also return your absentee ballot at an early voting poll site during the early voting period, or at a poll site on election day.
The early voting period for the 2020 general election is Saturday, October 24th to Sunday November 1st. Early voting poll sites will differ from your typical poll site.
- Holy Cross Armenian Church 255 Spring Ave, Troy, NY 12180
- Schodack Town Hall 265 Schuurman Rd, Castleton, NY 12033
- Brunswick Office Bldg 336 Town Office Rd, Troy, NY 12180
Hours for Early Voting
Saturday October 24 9am to 2pm
Sunday October 25 9am to 2pm
Monday October 26 Noon to 8pm
Tuesday October 27 9am to 5pm
Wednesday October 28 Noon to 8pm
Thursday October 29 9am to 5pm
Friday October 30 9am to 5pm
Saturday October 31 9am to 2pm
Sunday November 1 9am to 2pm